I’ve been moving – as in, I moved my home – so I’ve been a bit of a stress monkey (yes, me, the yoga therapist—I get stressed too).
What does a yoga therapist do with stress?
Here are a few of my coping strategies:
- I keep my meditation practice going, even inserting a few extra moments here and there, especially when the going gets intense
- I nap. Even if I don’t fall asleep. It’s like meditation in a comfy position
- I remind myself that this period will pass and to give myself and others compassion and lovingkindness as often as possible.
- Baths. Even short, shallow baths . . . it’s a moment to just be quiet and still
- I focus on my breath when the going gets tough, especially the exhalations (slightly elongating those).
Even when the stress gets kicked up a few more notches . . . my boyfriend (who I moved in with) injured his knee. Bad. Like, surgery bad.
So I’m doing lots of conscious breathing as I cart trays of food up and down the stairs, around all the boxes, and over the complaining cat (this move is stressful for him too).
I hope you’re having a less stressful time. But if you are feeling challenged, try something from the list. I hope it helps!